Grills have their own quirks and hot spots, the weather outdoors is unpredictable, lids flip open and closed – these factors shift cooking temperature and time. Backyard grilling is supposed to be fun and not too exacting. Here are a few top tips to get your best grilling experience:
Clean and grease the grill
Make middle temperatures your default
Cook over flames or indirect heat?
Use a probe-style instant-read thermometer
Let meats and fish rest after cooking
To keep food from sticking, scrape down the grill, brush or spray it with vegetable oil, then turn on the BBQ. Oiling a hot grill presents the danger of flare-ups as you work.
For the meat lovers
The flavour and aroma of grilled meats is hard to beat. Enjoy them simply seasoned with salt and pepper – or dressed up with these easy DIY sauces and burger toppers.
Ideal for grilled beef, poultry or sausages.
- In large bowl, mix 2 cups (500 mL) each roughly chopped parsley and cilantro, 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil, juice of half lemon, 2 coarsely chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each dried oregano and cumin, and pinch of hot pepper flakes.
- Using immersion blender, blitz until coarse paste. (If using blender or food processor to chop ingredients, stir in oil by hand at end.) Drizzle salsa over grilled meats and enjoy!
Soy good sweet and savoury sauce
Terrific with pork, kabobs and pork sausages.
- In a small pot, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey, 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce, 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, 2 tbsp (30 mL) mirin, walnut-sized knob fresh ginger (thickly sliced).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 2 min to slightly thicken. Spoon over meats for a tasty umami kick.
Take a global tour with our Compliments burgers.
For the seafood lovers
Flaky fillets and scrumptious shrimp with a hint of smoke. We make grilling fish and seafood easy with our lemon-and-dill stuffed whole trout, salmon burgers, shrimp skewers and a Fresh Atlantic Salmon Cedar Plank Kit with your choice of dill, maple chipotle or honey Dijon glaze.
Follow these simple steps to grill your Fresh Atlantic Salmon Cedar Plank Kit:
- Soak a Compliments cedar plank in water for 30 min.
- While the plank soaks, place the fish in a large baking dish or platter. Pour your choice of marinade over fish fillet, if using. Cover and chill.
- To grill, place the plank on the barbecue over direct heat at a medium level, about 180°C to 200°C (350°F to 400°F). When the wood begins to lightly smoke, place the marinated fish, skin-side down, onto the plank. Close the BBQ lid.
- Cook, checking occasionally, until fillet turns opaque, flakes easily with fork and reaches its ideal internal temperature, 10 to 12 min. Plank will char.
- Have metal baking sheet handy: Once fish is cooked, transfer entire plank (with fish) to pan and let rest for 10 min. before serving.
- Slide a metal spatula between the skin and flesh if you like. Lift fish away to plate fillet and enjoy.
Grilled fish just got easier with our Fresh Salmon Cedar Plank Kit.
Compliments Pacific White Shrimp
Compliments Cedar Grilling Plank
Compliments Wild Pacific Salmon Burgers
Compliments Garlic & Herb Pacific White Shrimp
Our experts in the Seafood Department are ready to help.
We offer free in-store steaming of lobsters where available. Visit us at our Service Case where we skin, portion, or marinate upon request. Just ask us!
For the veggie lovers
Treat yourself to prepped, easy-to-cook vegetarian options for the grill! Go for our garlic, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil marinated portobello mushroom caps or tasty plant-based patties for a quick and satisfying supper.
Craving more plant-based grilling patties?
Beyond Meat Burger
Veggie burger recipe with a twist
BBQ Cabbage & Halloumi Sliders