We’ve got five fresh takes on seasonal summer fruit, from upgraded fruit salads bursting with flavour to no-bake fruit pies. Getting your fruit fix never tasted so good!
1. Quick and Easy Berry Cheesecake Parfait Cup
Whip up quick and easy cheesecake flavours with this clever cream cheese, sour cream, and fresh berry parfait recipe that’s ready when unexpected guests drop by or you need a dessert, fast!
- To make 4 servings: Mash ½ cup (125 mL) blackberries, 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice and 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar; stir in ½ cup (125 mL) more blackberries and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir ¾ cup (175 mL) graham cracker crumbs and 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter until mixture is moistened; divide among 4 tall, pretty glasses, pressing firmly.
- Whip 1 cup (250 mL) softened cream cheese, ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream, ¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar and 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice until very light; spoon over graham bases.
- Top with blackberry mixture and 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries and cherries or raspberries. Serve and take a bow!
2. Watermelon, two ways
This first tip is all about the convenience of picking up precut watermelon quarters in-store and presenting it in a fun way to create watermelon boats. Using a large knife, slice under red flesh, just above white part of rind. The flesh will be loose but leave in place. Slice flesh. You can even push them into a pretty zigzag pattern. The watermelon is peel-free for eating and the attractive green shell acts as a holder.
The second hack features cubed watermelon “ice cubes” that make this decidedly adult slushie-style margarita, a new summer must-have.
3. Grilled Peach Crisp with Oat Crumble
Give ripe seasonal stone fruit a sweet twist this summer. Take peaches in a different direction with this flavourful Grilled Peach Crisp with Oat Crumble, served in a waffle cup, topped with an easy oat crumble and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s like being in a peach orchard on a warm summer’s day, only better!
- To make the Oat Crumble, in a bowl, stir ⅔ cup (150 mL) large-flake oats, ½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour, ¼ cup (60 mL) packed light brown sugar, ¼ tsp (1 mL) each cinnamon and salt.
- Using fingers, rub in 5 tbsp (75 mL) cold cubed unsalted butter until crumbs form; spread on baking sheet.
- Bake in (180°C) 350°F oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 min
- To make the peaches, rub 2 halved peaches with 2 tsp (10 mL) packed light brown sugar and grill, cut side down, over medium-high heat, flipping once, until lightly caramelized, 1 to 2 min. per side.
- To finish, serve with vanilla ice cream in a waffle cup with the crumble on top.
4. Strawberry Margherita Pizza
Make the most of seasonal strawberries with this inspired take on a pizza. Think of a Caprese-style salad, only replace the tomatoes with fresh strawberry slices, served on a pizza.
- In a small saucepan, boil ⅓ cup (75 mL) balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar until reduced to 3 tbsp (45 mL), about 6 to 8 min; let cool.
- On a floured parchment paper square, press and stretch 1 lb (450 g) prepared pizza dough at room temperature to 14-in. (35 cm) round.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) cooled balsamic reduction; top with 1½ cups (375 mL) grated mozzarella and 6 sliced strawberries.
- Bake in 240°C (475°F) oven on preheated pizza stone or heavy baking sheet until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling, about 13 min.
- Top with ¼ cup (60 mL) crumbled soft feta cheese; return to oven for 2 to 3 min. Garnish with basil and and drizzle with the remaining balsamic reduction, if desired. Serve to appreciative oohs and aahs.
5. Fresh fruit kabobs and dip hack
This one couldn’t be easier. Thread our Kitchen Dept.’s Grab n Go Tray’s pineapple, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and strawberry pieces onto skewers. Now you’re ready to dive into the easiest yogurt dip hack: Simply mix 2 Compliments berry yogurt cups until smooth and transfer to a small bowl. Kid-friendly, too!