- Prep Time
- 15 mins
- Total Time
- 03 h 15 m
- 30 to 48 orange slices
- 4 1/2 cups
- sugar, divided
- 1.125 L
- cinnamon sticks
- large, thin-skinned oranges or 10 clementines (or a mixture of the two fruits), cold from the fridge, ends trimmed and discarded, cut into 1/8 in. (3 mm) thick slices
- 1/2 cup
- Real Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips & Chunks
- 125 mL
- Step 1
- In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups (1 L) sugar with water 4 cups (1 L) and cinnamon sticks. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 min.
- Step 2
- Split the orange slices into 2 batches and place 12 to 15 slices in syrup at a time. Turn heat down and simmer slices 40 to 50 min., turning once, until the pith (the white part of the peel) becomes soft and almost translucent – this is how you'll know the slices have been properly candied. (If the pith remains white, slices may taste bitter.)
- Step 3
- Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C). Using heatproof tongs, remove slices from syrup and arrange on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Dry in the oven for approx. 60 to 75 min., turning halfway through. Remove slices when they are no longer sticky to the touch, but still pliable.
- Step 4
- Lightly sprinkle both sides with remaining sugar to absorb moisture. Cool completely.
- Step 5
- Melt chocolate in a microwaveable dish on LOW for 60 sec. Check and heat another 30 sec., if required. Dip half of the edge of the peel in chocolate. Let cool and harden on a separate wire rack before packing.
Save leftover orange syrup to drizzle over ice cream and other desserts. Substitute large lemons for the oranges or swap white chocolate for the semi-sweet chocolate.