Do the Math
- For 4 to 6: Adults will typically drink two or three hot beverages each and a glass of water or juice. Plan for one baked good or pastry per person, plus a few extras. Serve about 1/2 cup (125 mL) cut fruit per guest, or offer a family-size green salad. Make one hearty main dish that serves four to six. Dessert is optional: Yogourt cups or a plate of squares will round out the meal.
- For 8 to 10: Plan on serving two or three hot beverages per person and keep pitchers of water and juice on the table. Serve a dozen pastries or baked goods, two salads (fruit or green, or one of each) and one extra-large or two smaller main dishes, plus a side of bacon, sausage, deli meats or cheeses (count on three pieces per person). Dessert is still your call: Keep it simple with yogourt and fruit, or a coffee cake from our Bakery Department.
Make a Memorable Menu
- Flavour: Balance sweet and savoury—if you’re making Waffle Iron Hash Browns, serve them with smoked salmon, cream cheese and sliced fruit. Make spicy dishes, like our Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas, on the mild side and let guests dial up the heat with hot sauce at the table.
- Texture: Offer textural contrasts. Try our creamy Spiced Hazelnut Lattes alongside golden pastries, or set out bowls of roasted nuts with fresh grapes for casual nibbling.
- Temperature: Offering an array of hot and cold foods keeps things interesting without tying you to the stove. Start (or finish) a warm brunch spread with chilled Crunchy Chocolate & Berry Yogourt Cups. Safety tip: Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Items such as smoked salmon, deli meats and dips should be discarded if they’ve been left at room temperature for longer than two hours.
- Time: Choose just one make-at-the-last-minute item, like a special latte, to whip up when guests arrive. Take advantage of make-ahead recipes, and assemble most of your dishes the night before. Fill in the rest of the menu with fresh foods that are ready to serve.
Mix in Ready-Made
For mains, a Broccoli, Ham & Swiss Cheese Quiche is simple to whip up; a frozen deep-dish pie shell holds all the savoury ingredients in this crowd-pleaser. Or dress up frozen waffles with style—Homestyle Waffles with Warm Caramel Apples have a gooey, fruity topping. Tip: Keep the waffles warm in the oven while you finish the sauce on the stove.