- very easy
- Prep Time
- 15 min
- 2 tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 30 mL
- carrots, diced
- celery stalks, diced
- onions, diced
- 4 cups
- reduced sodium chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1 L
- 1 cup
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 250 mL
- ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- crispy tortilla strips or chips, for serving (optional)
- Step 1
- Open Spicy Southwest Bean Soup Gift Jar. Set bagged spice mixture aside. Pour bean mixture into colander. Rinse under cold, running water until water runs clear. Transfer bean mixture to large bowl. Cover with cold water; soak at room temperature at least 8 hr. or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Step 2
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook carrots, celery and onion 3 to 5 min., until vegetables are softened. Add reserved spice mixture; cook 1 min. until fragrant.
- Step 3
- Add drained bean mixture, broth and 4 cups (1 L) water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, 1 to 1½ hr until beans are tender, occasionally skimming off foam. Serve soup into serving bowls and top with cheese, avocado and tortilla strips, if using.
Substitute 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared Tex-Mex Seasoning for the spice mixture.