KEEP THESE INGREDIENTS ON ICE
- Pro tip: Buy big packs of meat and freeze in portions that fit you — a single sausage for one or a quartet for a family of four — so you won’t have to thaw an entire package at once.
- Pro tip: This technique also works for half-full jars of cooking sauces and partial cans of coconut milk, which often linger in the fridge past their expiry dates.
- Pro tip: You can roast some veggies straight from the freezer. Toss frozen broccoli, cauliflower or diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast on a baking sheet in a 200°C (400°F) oven until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Pro tip: Don’t bother thawing frozen berries — throw them straight into your oatmeal or morning yogurt. They can also add flavour to a glass of water.
- Pro tip: You can make a simple cheese omelette using frozen cheese and eggs. (Check out 10 Foods You Didn’t Know You Could Freeze.) Just thaw the eggs in the fridge overnight so you can beat them.
- Pro tip: Spoon cooked grains, beans and pasta into bags and freeze flat to save space. To reheat, add a sprinkle of water before microwaving to keep them from drying out.
- Pro tip: Bought one too many balls of dough or not in the mood for pizza? Turn it into dessert with our Chocolate Hazelnut Monkey Bread recipe.
- Pro tip: Frozen flatbreads can be reheated in a jiffy. Wrap a stack in foil to keep it from drying out and warm in the oven. Or skip the foil and microwave for 30 seconds.
A Week of Dinners from the Freezer
- Meatless Monday: Grain & Greens Tofu BowlBrown rice + Compliments Super Green Blend + firm tofu + Sensations by Compliments Creamy Asian Sesame Dressing + pickled ginger + sliced green onions
Any frozen grain can stand in for the rice. Heat up the rice and sauté the greens, and then add tofu, dressing, ginger and onions, and toss to combine. This is the ideal recipe for using that tofu you already marinated and stashed in the freezer!
- Tuesday: Thai Beef Curry with Squash & PineappleBeef stir-fry strips + Compliments Diced Butternut Squash + Compliments Pineapple Chunks + Sensations by Compliments Thai Yellow Curry Cooking Sauce
Sauté the beef, and then toss in the squash, pineapple and curry sauce. Simmer until hot and veggies are tender. Garnish with fresh cilantro (optional) and serve with reheated frozen cooked jasmine rice or naan.
- Wednesday: Turkey TacosExtra-lean ground turkey + Compliments Diced Onions + diced sweet potatoes + Compliments Taco Seasoning Mix + Compliments Taco Shells
Fry up the turkey, onions and sweet potatoes until meat is no longer pink and veggies are tender. Stir in taco seasoning and cook for a few minutes. Spoon into shells and let everyone pick their favourite toppings. Try shredded Tex-Mex cheese, black bean and corn salsa, pickled jalapeño slices and sour cream.
- Thursday: Potato & Roasted Vegetable FrittataCompliments Hash Brown Fried Potatoes + Compliments Roasted Vegetables + eggs + shredded mozzarella cheese
Hurray for breakfast for dinner! Fry up the frozen potatoes and veggies until softened and hot, and then pour in the eggs and sprinkle with mozzarella. Pop in the oven and bake until set and top is golden. Serve this quick spin on Spanish tortilla (a frittata-style omelette featuring eggs and potatoes that’s popular in Spain) with roasted garlic aioli and a big green salad.
- Friday: Cheeseburger PizzaCompliments Pizza Dough + ground beef + Compliments Diced Onions + Compliments Smokehouse Bacon Mayo Sandwich Spread + shredded cheddar cheese + bread-and-butter pickles + sliced tomatoes
It’s pizza night! Fry the beef and onions together, and then roll out the dough and brush with mayo. Then add cheese, pickles and tomatoes (ask the kids to help!) and bake until golden and cheese is melted.
- Saturday: Quick CioppinoTomato paste + Compliments Frozen Vegetable Mix for Spaghetti + chicken broth + Sensations by Compliments Uncooked Pacific White Shrimp + cubed tilapia fillets
Break off a chunk of frozen tomato paste and set aside. Fry up the veg and the tomato paste before pouring in the broth and bringing it to a simmer. Just before serving, add shrimp and tilapia, and cook until opaque. Slurp it all up with Compliments Texas Garlic Parmesan Toast.
- Sunday: Broccoli & Meatball PastaCompliments Penne Rigate + Compliments Broccoli Florets + Sensations by Compliments Prime Rib Beef Meatballs + Compliments Organic Garlic Seasoning Paste + olive oil + grated Parmesan cheese
This one’s for the garlic lovers in your crew (but, trust us, even vampires would like it). Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, adding the frozen broccoli in the last few minutes. Heat up the meatballs according to the package directions and toss into the drained pasta mixture along with the garlic seasoning paste, olive oil and cheese.