How to Thaw Safely
How to Prep
How to Cook
- Broiling: For thin fish such as sole or rainbow trout, broiling is the way to go. Use a heavy-duty baking sheet lined with foil for easy cleanup, and broil it on the top rack. For a crispy crust, top the fish with panko breadcrumbs mixed with a little melted butter.
Recipe: Broiled Dijon Crusted Sole with Lemons
- Steaming: Baking fish wrapped in parchment paper is a French technique called en papillote. It works best with thick cuts of fish, such as steaks and meaty fillets. The addition of thinly sliced vegetables, herbs, spices and maybe a splash of wine allows the fish to steam as it bakes, so it will stay moist and succulent. It’s easiest to fold the parchment over the fish and aromatics, and then trim and crimp for a tight seal. You can also pick up a ready-to-cook Seafood Steamer at a Sobeys fish counter for a tasty shortcut.
Recipe: Steamed Haddock with Leeks, Carrots & Anise
- Roasting: For thick fillets such as cod, halibut and salmon, it doesn’t get much easier than putting the fish in a shallow baking dish and throwing it in a hot oven. For extra flavour, season the fillets with a spice rub, brush them with a glaze or sprinkle chopped herbs and lemon zest over top.
Recipe: Roasted Cod with Capers, Olives & Tomatoes
- Frying: Medium-thick fish fillets, such as tilapia, are terrific pan-fried in a non-stick pan with a neutral vegetable or olive oil. When the edges of the fish have lost their raw colour, it’s time to flip. Slide a long, thin spatula underneath and use tongs in the other hand to steady the fillet as you turn it over.
Recipe: Brown Butter Tilapia with Capers
- Grilling: In warm weather, nothing beats grilled fish. This technique works best with thick, meaty fish, such as salmon, swordfish and tuna. Just make sure to thoroughly clean and oil your grate so the food doesn’t stick. Brush the fish with olive oil, grill over medium-high heat, and use a metal spatula and tongs to flip it. For a smoky note, grill fish on a cedar Compliments Grilling Plank.
Recipes: Grilled Halibut Steaks with Basil-Garlic Butter and Maple-Mustard Planked Salmon