Fire up the grill! These meaty dinners, featuring steak, seafood and chicken, are loaded up with a variety of easy sides and sweet treats guaranteed to please Dad this Father’s Day.
Most dads are content with any combination of meat and fire on Father’s Day. But to really make him feel special, we suggest surprising him with a spectacular spread of surf and turf. Below, we lay out five finger-lickin’ backyard feasts, with plenty of meat and a variety of fresh, veggie-filled sides you can mix and match to suit your family’s tastes. Short on time? With pre-made salads, we’ve cut out most of the prep, so you get a holiday too!
Menu 1: Surf & Turf Extravaganza for 8 to 10
Pull out all the stops for Dad with Grilled Lobster With Caper Gremolata, Classic Marinated & Grilled Steak, grilled Compliments Petites Potatoes, Summer Salads (we recommend Lemon Orzo Vegetable Salad), and Peach & Ginger Pie for dessert.
- 8 lobsters, plus gremolata ingredients
- 2 pounds of top sirloin grilling steak, plus marinade ingredients
- 1 bag of Compliments Petites Potatoes, plus oil and dried herbs
- 2 containers of Summer Salads
- 1 basket of fresh peaches, plus pastry ingredients
Work plan: Bake the pie, cover steak with the marinade and prepare gremolata for the grilled lobster the day before. Pick up your live lobster the day of, or call your local Sobeys ahead and pick it up already cooked. Cut potatoes in half, toss with oil and herbs, place in a foil packet and grill until tender (30 to 45 minutes). When the potatoes are almost done, grill steak according to the recipe. While the meat rests, place steamed lobster halves on the grill and cook as directed. When the meat is ready, place it with the salads on the table, and ring the dinner bell!
Serving tips: Set the table with tiny forks for digging out lobster meat, a large bowl for discarded shells, plus lemon wedges and a stack of napkins. Serve pie hot or cold, à la mode (we suggest Sensations by Compliments Simply Indulgent Madagascar Vanilla), or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Menu 2: Speedy Surf & Turf for 4
This steak ’n’ lobster dinner is just as special for Dad but takes less time : Grilled Lobster Tails with Garlic Aioli, Rosemary-Garlic Grilled Steak, Summer Salads (we recommend Black Grain Firecracker), Compliments Garlic Bread, and Dad’s favourite ice cream in a cone.
- 4 fresh lobster tails, butter, garlic and lemon juice
- 4 steaks (5 ounces each), plus marinade ingredients
- 2 containers of Summer Salads
- 1 Compliments Garlic Bread
- Dad’s favourite ice cream
- Compliments Ice Cream Cones
Work plan: In the morning, cover steaks with the marinade and place in the fridge. Make the aioli by combing ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to start grilling, discard the marinade and bring steaks to room temperature (up to 30 minutes). Place meat on preheated grill (450˚F to 550˚F) and cook until desired. Turn barbecue down to medium (350˚F to 450˚F) and cook trimmed lobster tails as directed—the steaks will have time to rest while the lobster cooks. Pop garlic bread into the oven, spoon salads into serving bowls, place aioli on the table, and call for supper once the lobster is done. End the evening on a high note with ice cream cones.
Serving tips: Set sliced garlic bread in a basket on the table. Serve steak and lobster on a platter so Dad can choose his choice cuts—and don’t forget a bowl for discarded shells to make cleanup a snap.
Menu 3: BBQ Chicken Feast for 8
- 2 whole chickens with backbones removed, plus Sensations by Compliments No Limits Barbecue Sauce (Dad’s favourite!)
- Salad ingredients: 4 tomatoes, 2 ripe avocados, 1 package of fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper
- 1 large container prepared deli-style potato salad
- Pretzels, chocolate chips, plus other cookie ingredients
Work plan: Bake cookies the day before (good luck hiding them from Dad!). Place whole chickens on the grill according to the recipe. While the chickens cook, arrange slices of tomato and avocado on a platter and top with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. Cut cooked chicken into quarters and arrange on another platter. Place potato salad in a serving dish, then call everyone to the table.
Serving tips: Place wet towelettes on the table and encourage everyone to dig right in. Serve Dad a frosty mug of beer (or two), and finish the meal with a big plate of cookies.
Menu 4: Shrimp Boil on the ’cue for 8
Dad will love this one-pot wonder, and you’ll love the easy cleanup: Shrimp Boil with Sausage, Potatoes & Corn, Sensations by Compliments Kale Salad Kit, fresh rolls and Compliments Lemon Meringue Pie.
- 2 bags of Sensations by Compliments Uncooked Extra Large Black Tiger Shrimp, 4 Hot Italian Sausages, Compliments Yellow Petites Potatoes, 4 cobs of corn, plus all other ingredients for Shrimp Boil
- 1 Sensations by Compliments Kale Salad Kit
- Artisan bread rolls
- 1 or 2 Compliments Lemon Meringue Pies
Work plan: The beauty of this meal is that the whole dish is done together on the barbecue, but you have to be on the ball to avoid overcooking the shrimp. Once you have finished on the grill according to the recipe and you are ready to serve, our advice is to clear a path from the barbecue to the kitchen so you can drain the heavy pot with ease, then spoon the meal into a deep serving dish to set on the table. All that’s left to do is place rolls in a basket, scoop salad into a serving bowl, add dressing, and pull the pie from the fridge for afterwards.
Serving tips: Have lots of extra lemon wedges on the table, along with hot sauce and the reserved broth for the main meal. This is a hands-on event, so have stacks of napkins handy. By the time everyone is done, the pie will be the perfect temperature.
Menu 5: DIY Tacos & Sundaes for 8
With a buffet-style dinner and dessert, Dad can have exactly what he wants—and so can everyone else. Here, we suggest Spicy Steak Tacos and DIY ice cream sundaes with Sensations by Compliments Chocolate Sundae Syrup.
- 2 pounds of flank steak, plus marinade ingredients
- Compliments Balance Multigrain with Flax Tortillas
- Sensations by Compliments Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Taco fillings and toppings: shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, sliced red peppers and avocados, sour cream, lime wedges
- Sensations by Compliments Simply Indulgent Madagascar Vanilla Ice Cream
- Sensations by Compliments Chocolate Sundae Syrup
- Sundae toppings: assorted nuts, sprinkles, shredded coconut and maraschino cherries
Work plan: The night before, prepare steak in the marinade and place in the fridge. One to three hours before your meal, prep your taco fillings. When it’s time, grill steak according to the recipe, and while it rests, set out your fillings, tortillas and fresh slices of avocado, buffet style. Place strips of steak beside the tortillas, then call everyone to come build their own tacos. For dessert, set out Sensations by Compliments Chocolate Sundae Syrup and bowls of toppings for everyone to top their ice cream however they like.
Serving tips: Keep the buffet line moving with a logical set-up: plates first, then tortillas, steak, veggies, cheese, limes, and utensils at the end. Have a serving spoon for every bowl at dessert, plus extras at the end. Warning: dessert might get sticky, so keep a washcloth close by.
Happy Father’s Day!